Roof Repair and How to Repair Flat Roofs
As what the article states, flat roofs are different from sloped roofs in terms of fixing it since water run down on sloped roofs while it stays with flat roofs, thus, causing more problems. With that being said, it is a must that flat roofs should have a layer of a watertight seal to ensure that water doesn’t penetrate on your roof and down to your homes.
This article educates you, homeowners, on how to repair flat roofs.
- Prepare all the materials needed for the roof repair. Examples of these materials are mallet, roofing nails, knives, brooms, and roofing cement.
- Next step is to physically go to your flat roof and determine where the exact problem is. Look for peeled, fractured or damaged parts of the roof.
- Remove all the dirt using your broom as the roofing cement will not stick if there are specks of dust on the surface.
- Cut a shape on to the area where the peel was discovered and use this shape to make a pattern for the replacement shingles.
- Put the putty knife in the area of the edges and put the roofing cement under the edges. This is where your new shingles will be attached using a roofing nail.
- If you encounter split shingles, the approach will then be different as you will need to cut the new shingle into two, open the slashed area and put roofing cement on it. Tack down the sides of shingle using a roofing nail.
Once you are done with fixing your flat roof, make it a habit to check it regularly to prevent new problems and easily detect new roofing issues so it can be fixed immediately.